What we’re looking for
ONTRAPORT is making big strides in web development and business automation and we’re looking for thoughtful backend engineers with an eye for quality to join our team and help grow our platform while keeping it reliable, fast, and delightful.
Our ideal talented Backend Engineer is excited to learn and improve our technology platform. Projects range from new features as requested from our quickly growing customer base, to learning new technologies that will support clients or improving the development workflow, tackling optimization challenges, and maintaining any existing code. Additionally, you’ll be mentoring more junior members of the team and optimizing the developer experience here at ONTRAPORT. The ideal candidate will be capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously, expressing technical concerns when necessary, and implementing projects in an agile work environment. The result is building a product that appropriately balance the need for speed, scalability, and advancement.
At ONTRAPORT, Backend Engineers push the boundaries of what’s possible in web applications. They are forward thinking with an eye for what is secure and effective. The primary responsibility of this role is simple: extend, scale and improve the core codebase of our application, specifically improving the backend experience for our clients.
We’re looking for engineers that can think through issues. One of our back-end engineers, Ben Burleson explains, “The important part, to me, is seeing the approach and process to a problem.”
We want engineers who think systematically, implement quickly, and consistently seek new knowledge. We are all passionate people who want to build things so you’ll be well supported by a world-class team organized on the Atlassian suite. A college degree in CS / CE is recommended but not required. We know learning doesn’t always happen in the classroom so be prepared to demonstrate what you know. You should also have four years of experience in WEB development using C++, Java, or PHP. We also look for 4 years of experience working in a LINUX environment and use of a modern CVS system (Mercurial, Git, Subversion). You’ll really stand out if you have built or utilized a highly available API.
If you’re still reading you may want to hit the apply button. Not sold yet? Keep reading to learn about the specifics that could be part of your day.
- Develop, debug and implement Backend tickets utilizing PHP and C++.
- Advise non-technical peers of technical constraints or issues in designs.
- Track down and squash bugs when found or reported.
- Get familiar with the three aspects of our BE application: servers, our BE API and the database.
- Estimate tickets’ level of effort.
- Communicate with QA in ongoing effort to ensure smooth bug releases.
- Follow code release standards and ticket management processes.
- Update documentation and implement unit tests.
- Take a project technical audit and complete all tasks on it.
- Participate in the architecture of new features.
- Supervise and assist junior developers.
- Participate in code review process.
- Flesh out POC (Proof of Concept) as instructed by senior staff members.
- Handle Database changes and Schema updates.
- Proof of concept / Prototyping coding.
- Be able to think about scale and plan projects accordingly.
Must be able to remain in a stationary position for long periods of time. The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a copy machine and computer printer.
Must have a high level of computer literacy. Role includes repetitive movement of hands and fingers for long periods of time – typing and/or writing.